J. Michael McTernan
J. Michael McTernan (“Mike”) is the “go to” business and real estate attorney in Kenosha. His clients range from some of the largest businesses in Southeastern Wisconsin to his next door neighbors. He handles business and corporate matters, commercial and residential real estate developments, probate and estate planning, financial and other banking arrangements and litigation involving those types of cases. As a mark of his success, he has achieved an AV® Preeminent™ Rating from his peers in the Martindale-Hubbell Law Directory, ranking him as one of the best attorneys in the region.
After graduating from Marquette University, Mike earned an MBA from Loyola University of Chicago and became a licensed real estate broker. Mike then worked at Abbott Laboratories in its Acquisitions Department during the day, while earning his law degree at Loyola at night…all the while living in Kenosha with his wife, Jane and son, John Michael.
Mike was an All American Athlete at Marquette (track & cross country). His academic endeavors earned him recognition on the Dean's List at Loyola, where he also received an American Jurisprudence Award. Since receiving his law degree (with honors), Mike has handled a wide range of real estate transactions, business and corporate matters, and probate and estate planning. Mike's extensive education and background has provided him the tools to understand his clients’ business matters, and resolve their legal issues.
His commitment to his community is unwavering. He serves on the Finance Committee and Board of Directors for the Kenosha Greater Community Foundation, Chairman of St. Mark’s Parish Council and Finance Committee, and was the Chairman of the St. Mark Technology Fund Drive, Kenosha Catholic Educational Council Task Force Survey Chair, Board Member of the Kenosha Area Soccer League, and head coach of youth soccer and basketball teams.
Mike’s background in real estate and business, along with his community ties, enable him to provide his clients with timely and uniquely insightful advice.
Probate & Estate Planning
Commercial Development Law
Loyola University, J.D., 1998
Loyola University, M.B.A., 1990
Marquette University, B.A., 1988
Saint Joseph High School, 1984
U.S. District Court Western District of Wisconsin, 1998
U.S. District Court Eastern District of Wisconsin, 1998
- AV® Preeminent™ Rating in the Martindale-Hubbell Law Directory
- Recipient, American Jurisprudence Award, Federal Income Taxation.
- Kenosha Community Foundation (Board Member, 2007 to Present)
- St. Mark Catholic Church (Councilor, 2007 to 2012, Chair of Finance, 2008 to Present)
- St. Mark Grade School (Faith In Our Future and Technology Fund Drives, Chair)
- Kenosha Catholic Education Council Task Force Survey Chair
- Kenosha Business Horizon Club (Treasurer and Member, 2006 to Present)
- St. Joseph High School Athletic Hall Fame Inductee
- Real Estate Broker, Wisconsin, 1990.
- Volunteer Soccer & Basketball Coach
- Kenosha Area Soccer League (Board Member, 2010 to 2012)
- Marquette University, Cross Country & Track, Scholar Athlete, Captain & MVP